isitlegal
GPL,Can i remove footer from theme from THEMES ?
  • 2012/1/14 7:18

• isitlegal

• Just popping in

• Since: 2012/1/14

for example in file:
XDBlack_wall.zip

fromhttps://xoops.org/modules/extgallery/
or in theme artifical casting

or in most themes there is a file inside zip archive:
xo-info.php

and there is written:

<?php
/*
You may not change or alter any portion of this comment or credits
of supporting developers from this source code or any supporting source code
?>
is it mean that i can not remove this footer for example:

Powered by XOOPS © 2001-2012 The XOOPS ProjectOriginal design by

TemplateWorld and brought to you by SmashingMagazine and adapted for Xoops by Kris_fr

OR can i remove it ?
thanks.*/

redheadedrod
Re: GPL,Can i remove footer from theme from THEMES ?

You can remove anything you want in it's entirety. The only thing that is referring to is that you are not supposed to remove the credits from the files.

Unless you bought or leased the software, and the software does not allow you to modify the source code to it, you are free to modify anything you get related to xoops or its modules. The licenses really only affect when you can distribute any code you have modified or changed. The wording you point out really is intended to say "hey don't modify this code then offer it as yours without giving credit where credit is due". You can edit this software as you see fit otherwise.

In other words the GPL or other licenses allow you to freely modify the code and redistribute it as you wish but you need to make sure the credits are in tact for the original authors of the code if you do distribute the code.

Rodney
Attending College working towards Bachelors in Software Engineering and Network Security.

isitlegal
  • 2012/1/14 12:43

• isitlegal

• Just popping in

• Since: 2012/1/14

Now its clear.
Thanks.

Zaquria
  • 2012/1/14 12:45

• Zaquria

• Just popping in

• Since: 2012/1/2 1

Hi,

You cannot remove the comment's within the files, but you are free to remove all visible notices or powered by.

For example, you can remove anything that states it's Xoops from the Meta tags, copyrights from the header and footer in your theme, any logo's or banners rtc, but you cannot remove the copyright comments within the PHP files or Themes from the author. That then would be a violation of the GPL.

Login

Who's Online

168 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 168

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits