crushdepth
Re: Legal Quotations of GPL and Rights
  • 2010/7/12 9:57

• crushdepth

• Just popping in

• Since: 2010/7/12

It's worth having a read of the GPL because it is quite clear about what you can and can't do.

Quote:
What about the idea of someone having to sign a NDA when they buy software to get the source code? Does that also violate the GPL? Since all your really agreeing to is that your not going to pass the code on to someone else?

The GPL guarantees the recipient the right to redistribute the code. It expressly forbids you to place restrictions on this right, so you can't distribute the code under an NDA.

Quote:
What about licenses which allow you to use modules on a non commercial site for free? Can you require a payment to use this same module on a commercial site?

You can charge whatever you like for *distributing* GPL modules, but you can't charge a royalty or license fee for their use.

For example, you can charge a commercial site for a copy of your GPL module but they have the right to give it (or sell it!) to other commercial sites if they want. You can't claim fees from the other sites.

Basically the GPL encourages sharing. If you're trying to find ways to prevent sharing of your work, you're barking up the wrong tree.

Peekay
  • 2010/7/12 11:26

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Quote:
I fully expect any modules I write to be out there for people to suggest changes to and maybe look it over and tell me what I did wrong so I can improve on it.

That's open source development in a nutshell. Everybody benefits.

The GPL rules are there to protect Xoops users. They stop developers using CMS communities as un-paid beta testers for software that is then released under a restrictive and/or expensive commercial licence.

If a developer wants to dictate terms they need to write modules for a commercial CMS, not one that is GPL.

Quote:
Basically the GPL encourages sharing. If you're trying to find ways to prevent sharing of your work, you're barking up the wrong tree.

Another nutshell!

Can this not be a FAQ that new developers can be referred to?
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

thegplguru
  • 2010/7/12 23:18

• thegplguru

• Just popping in

• Since: 2010/7/12

Login

Who's Online

175 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 175

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits