bb2120
Re: Is XOOPS a suitable CMS for this application?
  • 2009/8/24 3:29

• bb2120

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/7/6 1

Quote:

ghia wrote:
I hope you meant 2.3.3?

I did, yes :)

In order to create a multilingual site, should I start with 2.3.3 and do the hacks or use 2.0.13.2 and use the XOOPS multilanguage module?

None of the modules listed in the repository appear to do what I want AND are compatible with 2.3.3.

And then there's the easiest multi language hack (EMLH)...

What's the best way to get a XOOPS multilingual site up and running? Are core hacks the best way?

ghia
  • 2009/8/24 9:01

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

I think xLanguage is the best. It is based on EMLH but has as advantage that the XOOPS itself (menu's) are also translated or translatable.
Both have allow tags ([en], [/en]) to seperate the content in an article for the languages and have limitations when modules show text extracts, which could lead to unbalanced tags.

Both require a hack (placing an include in one of the core files), so there is no hack free solution.

Other solution is that you use the multisite, which allows eg two subdomains (en.domain.com and fr.domain.com) share the same XOOPS and partially the database (eg users). In fact you get two different sites with their own content.

bb2120
  • 2009/8/24 17:30

• bb2120

• Not too shy to talk

Cheers ghia
Hacks are fine... I was just wondering if there was another way.
I've started again with 2.3.3 and xLanguages but I can't get the choose language block to appear. In admin->blocks I choose show all blocks and it doesn't appear in the list.

I've installed the module and edited include/common.php as required.

bb2120
  • 2009/8/27 17:01

• bb2120

• Not too shy to talk

Anyone? I've resorted to trying old 2.0 hacked installs but nothing seems to be working

Mamba
  • 2009/8/27 17:10

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
In admin->blocks I choose show all blocks and it doesn't appear in the list.

Did you do it for all four categories, i.e.

- Blocks generated
- Blocks visible
- Group Access
- Visible

It could be that one of them is not set correctly, and therefore it doesn't show up

bb2120
  • 2009/8/27 23:09

• bb2120

• Not too shy to talk

Thanks Mamba. I think it was a careless installation that caused the issue. The block is now appearing in the list.

I'm now facing a MAJOR issue :(

The 2.0 repository links to the Russian and Polish language packs are broken and have been since 2007
The 2.2 repository doesn't even have Russian language files listed.

So unless Russian language files for 2.2 do actually exist, I'm going to have to stick with 2.0... except I can't download any language files due to the broken links.

EDIT: Looked on the SourceForge project page and have found loads more language files :)

urbanspacema

in future versions of XOOPS multiple languages will be included by default?

trabis
  • 2009/9/7 22:29

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

Quote:

urbanspacema wrote:
in future versions of XOOPS multiple languages will be included by default?

No.

But you can download xLanguages from Modules trunk(SVN) wich already contains a preload and provides multilanguage ability for XOOPS 2.4 (no hacks in core).
Module needs to be rewritten(it is a little old and trows some error messages) but does the job!

Mazarin
  • 2009/9/8 6:26

• Mazarin

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2008/12/10

It's interesting to see that no XOOPS (AFAIK) is written with native support of multilingual content. Of course, for certain modules it's not relevant, but for e.g. Content and News, it seems to me it shouldn't be an unusual requirement.

Do we know how are "competitors" Joomla and Drupal fare in this area, i.e. do they have a lot of modules which support multilingual content?

bb2120
  • 2009/9/29 0:27

• bb2120

• Not too shy to talk

As much as I'd like to have used XOOPS for this project, trying to get the modules I needed working correctly with multilanguages proved a complete nightmare. Maybe I was being stupid, but it just never seemed to work out for me.

In hindsight, I'm glad I wrote the site's CMS myself for the experience I've gained. Sometimes it's just easier to do something yourself... XOOPS always did seem like overkill for this application.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me in this thread. I'm sure I'll end up using XOOPS again soon.

http://www.europejskiedomki.com/index_en.php

PS I didn't choose the colour palette, or even the design for that matter...

Login

Who's Online

152 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 152

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits