beerslayer
Duplicated path within URL while installing XOOPS 2.5.5
  • 2013/2/6 2:07

• beerslayer

• Just popping in

• Since: 2013/2/6 1

I'm running into a strange problem trying to install XOOPS 2.5.5 on a local server.

Here's what I've done:
The htdocs folder from the original archive I downloaded has been copied to the root of the server and renamed 'xoops'. Database and user have been created but this is irrelevant because I never get to the stage where I can tell XOOPS about them.

To start the installation, I go to localhost/xoops. This page redirects immediately to
localhost/xoops/install/index.php
and prompts me to select language. The only choice available is English, so I select it and click Next. This brings me to what at first appears to be the same page, except completely devoid of images or formatting.

Upon closer inspection, the URL for the new page is:
localhost/xoops/install/index.php/xoops/install/page_start.php
and a quick glance shows that the path has been duplicated. The installation will not proceed any farther - I cannot get to step 2.

I'm guessing the correct URL should be:
localhost/xoops/install/page_start.php
but I am not convinced it's safe to simply type that into the address bar because I don't want to screw up the installation process.

I do not know what I might be doing wrong to cause the path to be duplicated in this manner. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Mamba
Re: Duplicated path within URL while installing XOOPS 2.5.5
  • 2013/2/6 2:17

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

What PHP version are you using and what browser?

Is this local server installation on Windows or Linux?
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

xoobaru
  • 2013/2/6 18:31

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2010/12/2

Youre wondering about the cgi.force_redirect configuration for IIS systems aren't you?

beerslayer
  • 2013/2/9 18:40

• beerslayer

• Just popping in

Hi, and thanks for the response. Below is the info you requested:

The server is a local installation on a Linux (Kubuntu 12.0.4/Precise) computer. IIS is not a factor (can it even be installed under Linux? I wouldn't want to run a webserver under Wine...)

me@Here:~$ php --version
PHP 5.3.10-1ubuntu3.5 with Suhosin-Patch (cli) (built: Jan 18 2013 23:45:59)
Copyright (c) 1997-2012 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2012 Zend Technologies

Browser is Firefox, version 18.0.2, but I have also tried Opera version 12.14 with identical results so I think we can eliminate the browser from consideration.

I was able to kludge my way through the installation by manually editing the path to remove the duplicated portion on every single page, and a quick run seems to work properly, but that's a pain and I do not really trust the installation. I would prefer to redo it properly and see it complete cleanly, the way it's supposed to.

What does "cgi.force_redirect" refer to, anyway? Could it be a factor even if I am not using IIS?

xoobaru
  • 2013/2/10 0:01

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

cgi.force_redirect is a config option in php.ini file. Is is it set to 0 or 1?

beerslayer
  • 2013/2/10 0:43

• beerslayer

• Just popping in

Xoobaru, thanks for the response.

In /etc/php5/cgi/php.ini (which I believe is the copy that PHP is actually looking at), there is no value explicitly set for cgi.force_redirect - the line that would set such a value is commented out. The text just before it reads "Left undefined, PHP turns this on by default. You can turn it off here AT YOUR OWN RISK."

So I am guessing the answer to your question would be "1". What would be the security ramifications of explicitly setting it to "0"? And would it likely solve my problem?

xoobaru
  • 2013/2/10 1:07

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

Okay, thats what it should be under Linux. I had a similar double path append issue way back in PHP 5.26 and it seems to me that it had something to do with the cgi.force_redirect setting and how php version I used was compiled. Thats as much as I remember, and no longer have record of the notes.

One other thing might be a mod-rewrite bug.

redheadedrod

Make sure you have not blocked the page so that javascript is not executed. When working on the install script I have noticed weird behaviors when it is blocked.

It stores a cookie and passes variables from page to page. If those variables don't make it to the next page I believe it gets redirected to the first page thus the double URL. This happens if the site is not trusted or is blocked by "Noscript" or other browser plugin.

I am not sure what will happen either if you have the "track me" turned off on the browser as well.

beerslayer
  • 2013/2/10 4:12

• beerslayer

• Just popping in

Red: Hmmm... I DO have Noscript installed, but I'm pretty sure I long ago allowed all scripts to run from the "localhost" domain. Nonetheless, it's worth looking into - thanks!

(Edit: I remember the same thing happening when I used Opera instead of Firefox, and there's no such thing as Noscript for Opera (I'd have it installed if it existed). So I really doubt the problem is in any way browser-related, unless both browsers are exhibiting the exact same problem.)

Xoob: I'm not really clear on mod-rewrite so that will take some research. I still want to know the security ramifications of cgi.force-redirect=0, but I guess I can research that elsewhere as well.

Login

Who's Online

188 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 188

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits