Zaquria
Block Admin Issues
  • 2012/1/2 16:07

• Zaquria

• Just popping in

• Since: 2012/1/2 1

Just installed 2.5.4 and I need to know Is there anyway I can revert back to the old Blocks Administration please?

kris_fr
Re: Block Admin Issues
  • 2012/1/2 16:42

• kris_fr

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2005/12/31

hi,

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=341302#forumpost341302

Zaquria
  • 2012/1/2 17:16

• Zaquria

• Just popping in

Thanks, but no thanks.

I will probably revert back to a version of Xoops that doesn't use tricks over productivity.

Thanks again,

Mamba
  • 2012/1/2 21:33

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
I will probably revert back to a version of Xoops that doesn't use tricks over productivity.

What do you find "unproductive" about the "drag & drop"? How could we make it better?

Personally, I find it much more productive. For example, when I want to re-arrange the blocks, to move Block A to top position, and Block B to be the fifth position, it takes me two seconds to drag them and see the result. With the old one system, I had to manually retype the "weight values", sometimes couple of times, before I got it right.

But of course, everybody works differently, and sometimes it's hard to break old habits, so it would be useful for us to learn what is important for you, and if there is anything that we could do to help improve your productivity.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

redheadedrod

Sounds like what he wants is a "blocks anywhere" type environment with a drag and drop between the different blocks.

With something like that the weight really doesn't matter.

This user is using the weights of the entry to emulate a "blocks anywhere" manually by using varying versions of the same block with filters built into each one.
Attending College working towards Bachelors in Software Engineering and Network Security.

Zaquria
  • 2012/1/3 7:01

• Zaquria

• Just popping in

Here is the reasons why I do not wish to use this and revert back to an older version of Xoops.

It's pretty buggy. When you select an item from the page menu, only the system blocks are shown within the modules menu. This means if I want to place a block there from a non system module, I cannot select it.

When you drag and drop an item, you move it, in reality we should dragging a copy of its self... This means, If I wish the same block to be shown on other pages, I still have to go into the edit properties and change it.... This means more steps taking up more of my time.

I still have to then assign group permissions after I move or if I want to change the title of the block/s and I have to swap from page to page to get what I need done.... before I could do all this from one page and one save.

There are other issues, but these two are the ones that concern me the most.

Edit: for clarity,

If I have the Mylinks module installed and I select that from the module menu, and I then select the Mylinks page, no blocks from that module will show up. Really, you need a separate column for displaying the blocks available for selection, rather than using the left hand side.

Zaquria
  • 2012/1/3 7:52

• Zaquria

• Just popping in

@kris_fr,

Thanks, even though it's a hack... I would prefer this in the mean time...

Mamba
  • 2012/1/3 15:49

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
It's pretty buggy. When you select an item from the page menu, only the system blocks are shown within the modules menu. This means if I want to place a block there from a non system module, I cannot select it.

You just need to go to the first drop-down menu on the left and select the module you're interested in.

In the picture below, I've selected the "Forums" module, and only blocks related to that module are shown. This helps us to avoid clutter:

Resized Image

The behavior is the same as in 2.4.x, where you were using the top "drop-down" menus to control which blocks are visible.

With the new module GUI (see below):

Resized Image

each module has a direct link to its blocks, which makes it easier for the user, as only blocks related to the module will show up.

Quote:
When you drag and drop an item, you move it, in reality we should dragging a copy of its self... This means, If I wish the same block to be shown on other pages, I still have to go into the edit properties and change it.... This means more steps taking up more of my time.

Personally, I seldom have the need to modify the blocks in bulk, but I see what you're saying. Maybe we can offer a "list view" for users like you in the future. Of course, that would be up to the Core team and having the required resources...
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Zaquria
  • 2012/1/3 17:25

• Zaquria

• Just popping in

Quote:

Mamba wrote:
You just need to go to the first drop-down menu on the left and select the module you're interested in.

In the picture below, I've selected the "Forums" module, and only blocks related to that module are shown. This helps us to avoid clutter:

Resized Image

When you select anything else from the page menu (say to add a forum block onto the forum page) you lose the list of blocks from the module menu.

Quote:

The behavior is the same as in 2.4.x, where you were using the top "drop-down" menus to control which blocks are visible.

Just because this behaviour was in 2.4, doesn't mean you should have stuck with it when developing the this version.

Quote:

With the new module GUI (see below):

Resized Image

each module has a direct link to its blocks, which makes it easier for the user, as only blocks related to the module will show up.

This is not something new at all, other modules have been doing this for years.

You still get the same result, if I select the forum module and wish to place a block on the mylinks page.... you can't....

At least with the old version, albeit crudely, I could.

At the moment, it's a nice gimmick. With a lot more work it could be a nice addition to the core, but as it stands at the moment to me, it very unproductive and very unfinished.

Quote:
Personally, I seldom have the need to modify the blocks in bulk

Maybe you don't, but many of us do work like that.

Zaquria
  • 2012/1/3 20:05

• Zaquria

• Just popping in

As you can see from these images, by adding another column for available blocks, you can copy these across into the positions easily:

Resized Image

If you select a modules (in this case Mylinks), only the mylinks modules are available for use and if you select the my links modules then only the blocks shown on the mylinks will show.

Resized Image

Login

Who's Online

113 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 113

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits