MateusP
HEEEELP! [customization]
  • 2011/9/1 13:06

• MateusP

• Just popping in

• Since: 2011/9/1 1

Hello friends!
I just received a task on my work...i must study xoops until i can create a full site with categorized news with attached pictures and a home page with featured news just like any content portal...in order to give maintenance on a major portal...
That's where comes the problems...xoops has almost none documentation...
Exploring i've been able to create a simply xoops site, with news... a simple theme... but i have no ideia on what to make in order to be able to customize the news...show only news of a certain category...how to show only the featured news on the home of the site, how to show only miniatures on the homepage, how to customize the news apparence...and that kind of thing...

Can any one help me with directions or book indications?

Since now, thanks.
Mateus Pimentel

playsome
Re: HEEEELP! [customization]
  • 2011/9/1 15:20

• playsome

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2009/4/15

Hello,

for news I would take a look at the article module

I have used it on this site http://www.whitlawburncrc.org.uk as you can see it shows image s next to the article, I have customised most of the templates to display the news/images as I wanted, it is not difficult to do just html and css.

The article module has blocks, for example recent news block, which you could customise then clone via xoops backend and show article from each category in the cloned blocks.

There is probably documentation/tutorials somewhere but im not sure where, the best thing to do is to install wamp or xamp for local testing and edit templates and css till you get what you want.

As for a theme take a look at the default xoops theme and practice modifying that, thats how i started doing custom themes.

mboyden
  • 2011/9/2 13:28

• mboyden

• Since: 2005/3/9 1

I would recommend the news module for news. It works well. The article module by phppp showed promise, but the one linked to is an RC with some bugs and incomplete functionality. I have fixed the bugs that I've found.

My notes on these two modules: News | Article

Also, my notes on various news, blogs, and similar modules.

Also, don't confuse Article with Articles, which is a simple news module based on an earlier version of news module.

I'm pretty sure that I've posted all this info here on X.o somewhere....

Others: Article 2.00 RC Test Request | Article 2.00 RC

Good luck!
Pessimists see difficulty in opportunity; Optimists see opportunity in difficulty. --W Churchill

XOOPS: Latest | Debug | Hosting and Web Development

playsome
  • 2011/9/2 22:45

• playsome

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2009/4/15

Personally, I think article is the superior module for news, mainly based on its features and layout. Like having an article image which can display in the block, image caption, choice of different layouts, etc. I don't think the news module has the article image thing like article does, look at news and blog sites most have images displaying next to the title of the article in some sort of block.

Alas like so many good xoops modules it was left in RC stage with bugs and incomplete features, sadly this seams to be the story of xoops modules but instead of a developer taking the initiative to fix the article module what we get is numerous clones of the news module with very little added features or useful functionality.

mboyden
  • 2011/9/3 14:20

• mboyden

• Since: 2005/3/9 1

I agree that the Article module is the most feature rich module when compared to the news module, and it does news, blogs, pages, etc. However, it is not bug-free nor complete. The News module works OOB.

Also, I've found that most clients don't need the functionality of the Article module. Most just need/want a simple news module with solid, simple functionality. The News module does just that and does it well.

As to templates and layout, I've found that I always have to play with templates to make them work well for any website. No one is ever happy with the default layout of any module, it seems.

As to the Article module, I have a bug-free version I'd be willing to share in the SVN, and will work with the team to get it up. There is still some missing functionality, but not that I've needed to put into use yet.
Pessimists see difficulty in opportunity; Optimists see opportunity in difficulty. --W Churchill

XOOPS: Latest | Debug | Hosting and Web Development

draalin
  • 2012/4/29 12:03

• draalin

• Just popping in

• Since: 2012/4/29

i need a bit of help with this as well, i plan on switching one of my sites over it ishttp://ubuntuserverhelp.com would it not screw up any of my databases or anything?

Mamba
  • 2012/4/29 16:39

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

You'll need to convert it, by loading the content into the right fields, since the database structure is different. Since you don't have much content, it might be easier to do it manually.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Login

Who's Online

109 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 109

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits