domineaux
Invision Boards is really getting a jump on things
  • 2004/3/28 3:23

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/9/29

I just read that Invision Boards is working on a fully competent content management(portal)addition to the IPB.

Invision, by providing a good open application for editing, has enjoyed a very large number of programmers tweaking their app for several years. Now, IPB is taking the driver's seat implementing a great deal more content within with IPB boards. IPB is introducing a Gallery and some other exciting tools as well.

There is a lot of excitement on IPB boards about the upcoming 2. version of IPB.

The interface for making changes within the IBP is excellent, and pretty simple. You do have to read the documents. It is a great forum tool, and you can still get the software free.

So...exciting things are happening.

Stewdio
Re: Invision Boards is really getting a jump on things
  • 2004/3/28 3:47

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

I think phpBB announced about a year ago that they were thinking about doing the same thing. Interesting times indeed.

djsckizo
  • 2004/3/28 4:45

• djsckizo

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/9 8

As long as Koudanshi keeps modding it, I'll keep using it. I love IB. Hated PHPBB. It didn't have enough buttons and knobs for me.

Stewdio
  • 2004/3/28 4:51

• Stewdio

Where as I'm the complete opposite. IB has way to many bells and whistles for me!

djsckizo
  • 2004/3/28 9:29

• djsckizo

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/9 8

I like the bells and whistles...more control = less problems from users for me.

Have you tried out YabbSE? I'm wondering if there will ever be a module version of it. It looks alright, but I haven't really jumped head first into it yet.

cuckston
  • 2004/3/28 13:48

• cuckston

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/1/19

I like the look of the new SMF. Any one reckon this may be coverted into a module one time?

DonXoop

Quote:

Stewdio wrote:
Where as I'm the complete opposite. IB has way to many bells and whistles for me!

I'm with you on that. Features are nice but too many users spend too much time fussing over too many things that have nothing to do with an actual message. I'm after the message and more and more frequently there really isn't one, just fancy features.

With Forums being the core of many or most community sites it is always nice to have a full feature set. But for the same reason it is important that Forums be very secure and fully integrated.

I worry about hacking the core and making upgrades difficult later on. Or worrying about what exploits or abuses are lurking beneath the covers.

.02c

Stewdio
  • 2004/3/28 15:25

• Stewdio

I agree. All my integrated scripts (guestbook, Movable Type and working on my own phpBB conversion) are just wrapped within my XOOPS environment. If I should ever change my site and put XOOPS behind me, migration will be much easier.

I use XOOPS for content (plus I'm lazy), so I have no users right now. This is how I make this possible. More user driven sites would stay away from my method.

Login

Who's Online

186 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 186

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits